Posts tagged ‘Arts’
The Met Ball or Costume Institute Gala, celebrates the Met opening of the fashion exhibit at the Costume Institute and is considered the Oscars of the East Coast. A lot of the women looked older than they are due to the look they chose and/or makeup. I was looking for colorful standouts and I selected my favorites.
Great article of inspiration from http://newcolorrevolution.com!
“The greatest revolution of our generation is the discovery that human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.” –William James
New Color Revolution is a stylish cause-marketing campaign and experiment in social activation fueled by the embrace of a colorful life. The goal is to spark a popular fashion movement promoting the value of being expressive, confident and aware, one that accelerates a vibrant state that enhances the quality of life while at the same time liberating us from anything that can hold us back. This uprising is undertaken not only for personal fulfillment, but also for the creation of a bright, hopeful and prosperous society. It is a highly-visible response to life that manifests across music, food, fashion, art and design to generate a more enlivened environment and more optimistic conceptions of beauty, truth and goodness.
This Revolution is fashion on a higher vibration and a fashionable practice that keeps us firmly in the vivid colorflow. Color expresses a primal emotive need. Wearing it and creating colorful environments satisfies in more ways than we can imagine. This passionate revolt into style is creative resistance with a liberating battle cry to colorized the fortified system of expressive inhibition in which the same tenured forces of the bland limited spectrum have been entrenched for years. This vivacious activism may be seen as extreme to some but compared to the void of the black hole it offers a most sensible Utopian solution to all the bleak dissolution that prevents us from stepping into the luminous future.
This is so because color beautifully expresses who we are. We are the colors we surround ourselves with and that we wear. Color immediately shows how much we feel and we care. In the Year of the Dragon, color is exploding in design, decor, art, and fashion, and with it a new color consciousness. We don’t just put on clothes anymore. We would never settle for boring white walls. We can’t see in the same old way. Once you see the lack in basic black you’ll never go back. Once you know, why settle for the status quo? Why not be seen and heard? You don’t even have to say a word. When we communicate with color we are understood, directly and dynamically. We see and feel the vibe. In a room of bland gray and blackness we are truly distinctive; reading, seeing and feeling the true hues between the lines. This is light by design moving at the speed of life; a lifelight that shows we can dance in the fire, that shows off a burning desire and gives us fever through the night.
When I first moved out to LA, I was looking for modeling opportunities for exposure. I responded to an ad for a photo shoot of a clothing line and that’s where I met designer Orenthal (Orencio) Goff. Unique in his style, design and outlook on life, I helped bring to life O’Peepers Couture– skirts with a twist. Not only is he a designer, but he sings, dances and who knows what else? Read on to learn more about this man-on-the-move.
1. How would you describe your clothing line? O’Peepers Couture – cutting edge, one of a kind, and universal.
3. What article of clothing in your closet makes you feel on top of the world? Jacket from Lourdes for $1800. Just says everything and I get compliments every time.
4. If I were to enter your closet right now, what would I be surprised to see? Not that many clothes – did a Brad Pitt post Jennifer.
5. How much influence does the way you dress have on your personal brand? None at all.
6. Do you follow trends or make your own? Break my own.
7. How does Indianapolis style compare to LA style? Indy is style in the making.
8. In your opinion, what is the future of fashion? Individuality.
9. What would you never be caught wearing as long as you live? Hammer pants.
10. What is your favorite clothing store in LA? Sashi B.
11. What fashion advice would you share with the world? Be yourself, express yourself.
12. What do you think is the new black? Spirituality and individuality.
13. What makes your clothing line unique from all others? It’s designed, cut and sewn by me.
14. As a musician, artist and designer, is your style different for each one? All incorporate a bit of my own style, it’s all me.
About Orenthal Goff
Orenthal Goff was born in Indianapolis, Indiana on September 8, early one autumn morning. He has been entertaining for most of his life young life. He moved to Los Angeles at the tender age of seventeen alone with sixty dollars and two suitcases quickly finding work in the film industry and singing demos for fun. Fun lead to work as the demo’s turned into records for different producers. Writing hooks and melodies is something that flows like water from him. Playing the guitar is his new found baby. Music and singing has always been a huge part of his life being raised in the church next to his Grandmother Virginia and having his ear tuned in to Casey Kasem Top Forty lead him to the world of pop music.
Training with San Francisco’s Razz Kennedy introduced a new sound to his already tenor soulful voice. Indiana gave him the musical roots of The Police, Diana Ross, Patti Labelle, Kiss, Duran Duran, Natalie Cole, Madonna, Janet and Michael Jackson and many others. California gave him the musical roots of Oingo Biongo, The Cure, Niki Haris, Kenny Chesney, Yazz, Mazzy Star, Lenny Kravitz, Bork, Kinky and the list goes on. His recognizable face as been the spokesman for Miller Genuine Draft, Lens Crafters Eye Wear and MTV to mention a few. His passion for performing has lead him to some of L A’s most known stages. His art for giving dance tracks a certain flavor has allowed him to record with a slew of talented producers. “Arena” is where he made his debut singing an original house track with DJ Fabian and a troop of dancers. This is where his fans begin to take notice and from there it’s been a whirlwind of creativity, music, spirituality, sexuality, and Self Love. Out of the ashes rises “The Rooster” ready to waken the world from sleeping!
For more information, check out his website http://orenthalgoff.com/
Today is the one year anniversary of starting The Style Goddess blog. It is also the day I packed up all my belongings and moved to LA. It’s been a great year filled with adventure, growth and new connections! I came here with the intent of doing something in the fashion world, and I thought it was to be a stylist. That quickly changed and I was able to try my hat at other fashion outlets, such as inside sales, wardrobe pulls, event assistance and celebrity management. One thing I learned is that there is a lot of different things I enjoy so why not do all of them?
The Style Goddess became my voice in the industry and I started to do event coverage and expand into interviews on style, video blogging and beauty reviews. That inspired me to join Examiner.com, where I was granted the title of LA Women’s Fashion & Style writer. It’s a great honor and it opens my writing to another audience. So what are my goals for the upcoming year?
1. Start a monthly column – I am currently developing a monthly column with a friend which will be an exciting collaboration!
2. Giveaways – At least once a month I will deliver worthy giveaways that you don’t want to miss!
3. Video Interviews – More interviews face to face live. Taking it to a new level!
4. Increased Blog Posting – Starting in September, expect to see at least 3 postings a week!
5. Exclusive event invites – I’ve been invited to awesome fashion events and I want to share the invites with you if the opportunity arises!
6. Contests – Let’s see some creativity in the fashion world. A one-0f-a-kind contest is under development!
7. Production – With my event planning background, I’ve decided to put it to good use and create a one-of-a-kind Style Goddess event.
As I reflect on the past year, I am proud of my accomplishments, new friends and loyal readers of my blog. I strive to bring you the best of the fashion world in my eyes and keep you coming back! Thanks to everyone who has contributed to my success thus far and never stop reaching for your dreams!
The next big thing to hit the shoe world just launched in February 2011 – a fashionable, foldable flat for the girl on the go. There is a flat for all types, even a wedding collection! On a sunny afternoon in downtown LA, I met with Natashia Tomek, designer of TASH FOLDS (@TASHLIMITED) to learn more about her new line. Not only does she have a true sense of style when it comes to foldable flats, but she’s also tapped into industry where she can hold her own and hit the ground running.
1. How would you describe TASH FOLDS?
It’s the girl on the go who has an active lifestyle. She’s running out of meetings, hopping into a cab, and putting on Tash Folds.
2. Who is the target market?
16-35 year olds, but it has ventured way past that since 40 is the new 20!
3. How did you come up with the collection?
I went to the UK and saw roll shoes. I saw them not as chic, so I thought, “what if I put some fashion into the shoes?” I had a dream about folds and then I pitched it to investors.
4. What is the inspiration behind the different styles of Tash Folds?
Trends, animal prints, florals and friends. I also think about what I would love to wear.
5. Who are your top 3 shoe designers?
6. What shoes in your closet makes you feel on top of the world?
Office =TOMS shoes, Going out = Basic black heels
7. How many pairs of shoes do you own?
Over 100. I’m a compulsive shopper.
8. Which flats are your bestsellers?
9. Which celebrity would you love to see wearing TASH FOLDS?
10. In your opinion, what is the future of fashion?
Fashion changes constantly. Not sure where it’s going, but I do look at articles to see where forecasting is and what is currently in season.
11. What fashion advice would you share with the world?
Have passion behind what you do, whatever it is! I will continue to succeed as long as I do what I love!
12. How are your flats unique to brands already on the market?
Foldable, fashionable and easy to slip into your purse. My flats are more stylish, convenient and have strong rubber sole.
For more information, go to http://tashlimited.com
For only being here 2 weeks, it’s no doubt I made the right decision to move to LA and to come at a time when one of the biggest events of the year, Fashion Night Out was taking place. I opted for the scene on Rodeo Drive, where I’ve never seen so many people at one time on this street. The fashionistas and brand loyal mavens were out shopping, networking, having champagne and posing for pictures. The weather was a little breezy, enough for the models to have their hair swinging in the wind, the ferris wheel was twirling around with kids happy with glee, and high-end stores were open for business from 6-10pm, even 11pm for some. (more…)